Sunday, January 24, 2021

A trip to Maryborough - Impressed!

 Barry and I were recently invited to participate in a printmaker's show at Maryborough. The exhibition is called Impressed, and is on at Gataker's Art Space in Maryborough throughout February. 

The venue is beautiful and our friend Ken Munsie has a solo exhibition downstairs at the same time which is lovely - really worth a visit.

So we drove up to deliver our work a week or so ago. Here is our before shot - laugh!

Maryborough was a very important port and has a fabulous river-side precinct with traditional buildings and lots of public art. They also installed a war memorial in their gardens recently and I was very taken with it in so many ways.  Here are a few of the pieces that caught me.

This is only a small part of the war memorial which is truly beautiful - rusted corten posts curving across, with terraces reflecting the cliffs at Gallipoli.  All beautifully wrought - but it was this fragment of contrast that is my reminder point of the whole.


As you wander through the gardens, there is a path with movement activated voice-stories as well as these sculptures.  Charles Bean's diary, glasses, typewriter and the beginnings of his manuscripts.





I looked across as this woman's form from behind and I thought, she is reading that someone has died. When I faced her I thought maybe she is just reading news from the front; but her posture still speaks of the distance and the dread.



In the concrete path barbed wire was etched along with other map lines of the western front.


It was a beautiful place to visit, reflect and remember. There are just so many pieces of public art from Mary Poppins to posts to stones, to street lights, to murals...

And across the way in an almost falling down building I found part of a wall stitched together with wire.

A short but fabulous visit.

6 comments:

  1. lovely images ! That corona typewriter...funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to see the typewriter cast as a sculpture - just our sort of thing!

      Delete
  2. the typewriter caught my eye, too ... and sent me down memory lane ...

    https://paperponderings.blogspot.com/2019/01/rusting-away-beautifully.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. love seeing the prints framed and that stitched tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stitched tin just made me sigh with happiness...go well

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.