Tuesday, January 5, 2021

2020 in review

 As is now a tradition of sorts on my blog, I spend time at the end of the year; or early in the new one , looking back over my favourite works of the year.  Sometimes I labour long and hard to find completed works; sometimes I have an abundance to select from.

This year my expectations were low.  I really did not have that feeling that I had completed much work. 2020 felt like the year of fiddling when one couldn't focus; of going across things not deeply into them. And yet.

I managed to discover 10 pieces that made me smile; that made me happy to think I had brought them into the world and that reflected the year that was.

As ever, they are in no order, except alphabetical.

1. A Place Among the Clouds

A beautiful book that emerged in response to some gecko poo on some paper.  I love looking through this book and sharing it with people. There is ritual in the opening and turning of the pages...


2. Circles

These little cards were definitely a pandemic piece of work.  They are simple, and the graphic details let you know what they say. They have been shared with many folk for whom they are a touchstone.


3. 54321

More pandemic inspired work - the theme around anxiety is strong! I loved these little cards, and whilst I haven't need to use the technique for awhile, it helped me a lot along the way. Let me know if you think I should print more and if you'd like some...


4. For James

In amongst it all we had  a lovely commission for a lovely man. Etched aluminium calligraphy. A gentle marker for some good friends.

5. Kindness mini posters

To mark our new studio, our first project was a rainbow of kindness. Barry printed four mini posters and I printed three. His are kinder than mine I think!

6. Mabel's Scrub

One of the few exhibitions I took part in this year! It was called Eco Women and was held here in Maleny. My print about Mabel Thynne with an embossed forest was on display there.  I love the texture of the forest in the background and the way the text fits within...

7. On joy

A beautiful book that emerged from a challenge to ourselves, and using the words of a friend. Playing with feather-like papers here was a delight.

8. On joy (mini)

When one beautiful book leads to another...this wee one was the result of testing registration of the printing for the book above; but it led me somewhere lovely as well.

9. Open

My first attempt at printing my own words in an edition of sorts. This is the cover sleeve for the poem. Printing into the counter must be becoming a thing!

10. Remembering

One of the greatest honours of work this year was to help make beautiful things to remember folk by.  This one has beautiful words and is so elegant in its simplicity.


And yet again, it was not until I had written this post and popped all the photos in that I realised what an avalanche of white there is.  I never think about it consciously, yet there it is - my stories are nearly always told in the softness of white; with white on white; with flimsy and light papers, with little or no adornment.  It's just who I am I guess..

Thanks for coming along on the ride looking back over the year that was. It helped me remember that there were beautiful things and moments of magic and that there will be again. Go well.

3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful body of work in a huge year of moving house as well, you two blow me away with your good energy and focus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful, fine work you do Fi... thanks for sharing this. I enjoy so much xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.