Sunday, January 10, 2021

Marking time

As last year drew to a close I wondered if I could somehow be prepared, be organised.  I knew in my heart that the switch would not flick at midnight on 31 December to some magical clear bright future.  This time around we knew the year would be a year of change and wouldn't it be good to have some way of marking it?

A record of some sort, a gathering and noting of things from 1/1 to 31/12.

As fortune or connection would have it, I had been pondering some handkerchiefs that had belonged to my mum.  Dad had passed them all to me a while ago and as we packed up the house I held them, thought about them and wondered what I could do with them.

And so it came to pass that I thought I might stitch on them, keeping a record of the Covid year (here was me thinking that would be the main thing to keep track of!).

As I sorted them I realised I had 10 of mum's and an eleventh from a cousin.  So I am missing a 12th, but my sense is that I may accrue that one through the year somehow - I am happy to set forth with my 11.

So I washed them and ironed as I got ready to go. All lined up on the back of a couch.


Layers and details.



Edges.



Trying to work out a sequence for the months.



And in the end I randomly selected one to begin with!

7 comments:

  1. You are brave. I'd be so frightened of spoiling the hankies I wouldn't be able to bring myself to work on them. Looking forward to seeing the outcome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed I don't spoil them Jac! I talked my Dad and we are both OK with me working them; whatever happens and wherever it leads. He said jokingly its better than trying to use them, they are so fine! Go well.

      Delete
  2. I'll be very interested to see what you make of them, and how as they tend to be so incredibly fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz, I am plodding through them in my usual style - without much style. They are very fine as you say but so far they appear to be behaving. It's actually nice to beholding them, stitching them...

      Delete
  3. (((Fiona)))) such a beautiful collection of pristine antique hankies, I have one that would fit in purrfectly, will send it to you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo - they are a lovely gathering aren't they? Thank you for your kind offer - I would love to receive it! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.