Tuesday, August 24, 2021

A wee small book

I am still pottering away thinking about what to make, why and how, for the small showing we are hoping for in October.  

I sat with a stack of business card sized bits the other day and played this way and that, and decided to test out an idea.

First of all i though about de-bossing or blind embossing a curl of string.  I had made a plate years ago which had worked out well and wanted to see if it still held up.



Tick that box.

I realised I needed a MUCH longer plate so made one about 45cm long and happily glued the string down. Much messier when working on this scale, and I probably ended up using more glue than I wanted to, it just kind of got everywhere...


So I merrily embossed away and then decided to put them all together like this, using a figure 8 stitch on either side of the card.


As ever, a huge fan of those slightly wild and dishevelled looking threads.


It stretches out quite a way.


And I am most happy with it. I have another one to trial and play with too so shall see what happens there before deciding if I will use them, or just keep them for myself and a record.

And then this was funny. Somehow I saw an ad for this app which did magical things to your photos - especially for online shops.  We are working hard to to try and make sure our photos look decent on the website and in the shops; but clearly we could be more professional.

I thought I would give it a try - it removes the background and lets the object float without distraction.

Before...

And after.  

Interesting.

I can see how it makes the object the focus, but does remove any context. But I laughed more at how unless you pay a bit of money for the Pro version of the app, clearly you get their branding on your images which nobody is ever going to want on an online shop1 Laugh, very clever.

I was also playing with how to add text so the title is not really the title, more about a work in progress...

And because Spring is springing, here is some lavender on the kitchen bench.

7 comments:

  1. (((Fiona))) love your new wee book and the photo of the lavender is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a lovely shot of these simple yet complex flowers. And the scent!

      Delete
  2. I much prefer the shadows in your photos to the ap version, which seems to have stripped the life out of your wild threads ... and I quite agree with Mo about the lavender photo

    your debossing always intrigues me and I find myself wondering about the text in the little book through which the twine wends its way ... so I'm off to see if there's more in your earlier posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Luz for the phot feedback - there are pluses and minuses to everything, and a lot depends on the photo and what you are trying to convey. The life in the first one works well for an artwork, the simplicity in the second works for a shoe or a T-shirt maybe? No words on show for the book yet - it is a whole story waiting to be told!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how my phone spells your name with a kiwi accent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. prefer it with background, somehow seems more authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene, it certainly feels more like a real artists' book when you look at it; the second one seems less real somehow - perhaps as if the picture itself has been played with; when in reality it's just he background has disappeared. Interesting!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.