Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Women Friends

 I have mentioned previously that I was playing with some words by Scottish poet Pauline Prior-Pitt.

Her poem Women Friends is the loveliest honouring of women's friendships and it has warmed me from the moment I read it. My Dad was with me at the Scottish Poetry Library and showed me her book Be an Angel and suggested I might just need to buy it. True.

I wrote to her recently asking permission to use the words in some work; and she generously agreed and I feel so honoured to be able to do so.

I have begun working towards a showing around the theme of The Red Thread. Three friends and I are hoping, all things being equal, to be able to have a small showing in the Deckled Edge Press studio hanging space in October-November this year.  We all know that a thousand things can happen between now and then, but we are committed to giving it a go! 

I have been pushing ideas around and playing with things for a while and am only now beginning to bring my fuzzy outline thinking into some sort of focus.  This wee artists' book is the first piece that is finished.

I was actually doing something else when my eyes came across the tin.

Funny story - when we packed up our home and studio last year, I was going to throw the tin out. Barry thought he might be able to use it for something and it stayed. Last month Barry was tidying up his new workshop space and came across the tin again. Now knowing he wouldn't use it, he asked me if I could use it and I thought yes, I might just be able to! Circles.

But back to the tin moment. I dropped whatever mundane task was at hand; went and gathered up some scraps of the roll of paper Barry had been cutting (Arches Velin) and wondered if I cut them into tiny squares (2cm x 2cm) might they fit in the tin?

And then what to do with them if they did?

I thought about writing out the poem on large paper then cutting it up and stacking it; I thought about making each page of a stack a segment of the poem. And then I thought, what if I stamped the poem in four parts on the top sheet? So it could be read?

I tried to work what size type I would need to fit all those words on such a small page and found it was 8 pt. Tiny.

So I gathered the type together and taped it so I could hammer it in one go; rather than end up having bouncing letters with too many spaces.


And then there they were...


Four stacks of words,


Nestled in their tin, with the title and the poet tucked into the lid.

 
And the sunshine beaming in...


16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sometimes biding your time is the right approach...so happy it circled back!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this! I LOVE this theme. My female friendships have defined my life over the decades...the red thread (just rereading the red tent also!) Ancient, enduring and life affirming. Thanks for this post! Feeling it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! Yes to women friends!!! The Red Tent is a wonderful book - I could do with re-reading it I think. Go well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Bridgette - women friends are the best. Go well.

      Delete
  4. A lovely presentation and a brilliant idea to tape them together. Years ago I bought a set of small type metal letter stamps like these and struggled with alignment so set them aside and moved on to other ideas. I can't wait to hit the studio and try this technique out. Thank you so much for this and all your ever-inspiring posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh so happy that little trick might work for you too! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you read - means a lot. Go well.

      Delete
  5. Thanks C - a bit off beat, but a real sweetie I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Annick! I like how the threads come together as we work and when this leads to that, little problems resolved… go well.

      Delete
  7. even your tape is cool (love the lettering) ... and the resulting text puts me in mind of manual typewriting, where the varying pressure exerted on each key makes for a most eye-pleasing result

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that tape too! In the end I kind of likes how the manual nature of the words and letters appeared. As you observe, they are quite like an old typewriter at play. I do love a typewriter. Here’s a link to an exhibition in Edinburgh at the moment! I hope.

      Delete
  8. https://www.nms.ac.uk/exhibitions-events/exhibitions/national-museum-of-scotland/typewriter-revolution/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.