Sunday, August 8, 2021

Half a year of stitching

On Saturday I finished stitching my June Covid hankie.  Being in lockdown for a week helped as I stayed home and stitched in moments when I might otherwise have been out and about. 

That means half a year of documenting, recording, noticing, paying attention.  Interesting.

For me, we here in Australia are at another turning point moment; and I think we are learning all over again that the world has changed and that returning to normal is probably a nonsense idea. I spend time mulling what does it mean? What will it look like? How will we be? What do we let go of? What do we work hard to retain?

There is tentativeness, uncertainty and a yearning for simplicity.



This is quite a big project.  I had not realised how big it would be when I began with a quirky notion, and a hope to keep a funny little diary of sorts.

I have had to remind myself that this is real work and when complete, it will be quite a remarkable record. Initially I had thought of it as a fun thing to do on the sides; yet it has become quite a focal point for my 2021 work.  I like how the work leads you sometimes; and I like how things evolve and take on  new meaning.  I like that I don't know what I am doing nor where I am going at times!

Here are the first six months of hankies.  

I love their individual natures. I long for the casual capturing of February where not many big things happened. The intensity of the script in June describes the growing concerns.


The tactility of them is a precious thing. 


I love their edges and their individual characters. And I apologise for the threads from the rug that appear on them - I wild do better.



And the backs of them. The script has power on the other side as well. It is possible in places to decipher it.  I still need to tidy them up and snip threads etc.


 I am grateful for that flicker of an idea - of looking at my mother's hankies and thinking oh, maybe that!  And for friends who shared theirs with me.

And for knowing that the story continues and that I have work to do.


6 comments:

  1. F - I have watched you do this and know that I would not have the patience or persistence. - well done. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Fiona)))such a stunningly elegant work honouring the beauty of the old hankies with what's happening in this strange year, do you think it will become a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo, I am finding it more powerful than I imagined, and yes my thoughts are turning towards a book. I design it in my head lying awake at night! Go well.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Mo, thinking of a book ... and I do love the almost-asemic quality of the other sides ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - yes a book has been percolating in my head; the best way to do it; how to give it gravitas; how to protect the hankies...something will emerge from my nocturnal ponderings I hope! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.