Thursday, August 26, 2021

Thursday Thoughts...

"Pen poised, I sit to attention, in my suit, on the edge of my imagination, prepared for the beautiful line to arrive. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not — either way I am powerless to influence the outcome. So often we stand bereft before our ingenuity, with nothing to show for our efforts. Yet at other times we are ushered in". 

Nick Cave

This is by Nick Cave the Australian musician, lyricist and author (not Nick Cave the American sculptor). I love our Nick Cave. I was probably a bit scared of him in his early music days - so dark and somewhat menacing; but in more recent times he has faced tragedy and from there he has opened up his big deep beautiful soul to people.

May I recommend Nick Cave's The Red Hand Files.

These are the words of a writer, on the magical process of writing. I love that image of sitting there, on the edge of your imagination.  That feeling that nearby; thru a shadowy door; sneaking by in a costume is the idea...the thing, the line. Just out of sight, just on the edge of your imagination.

It seems such an apt descriptor for any creative process; how one can never be quite sure that 'it' will come. The beautiful line, the imagery, the gathering of materials; the outcome...

It feels to me that he truly knows and has experienced that honesty of creativity - sometimes you can be ushered in; at others times you stand bereft.


And you wonder when a thing you thought might be the start of something, will ever come to fruition...

2 comments:

  1. ... and when the line or the idea or the story or the image comes, time stands still while one attends to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so very very true Liz...you re-surface, as if from a deep dive. And are grateful. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.