Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Spring flowers and threads

 Life is funny when it comes to how you get an idea for something.

I was watering a pot of dark blackish hearts ease flowers that we have near our front door.  I flicked one fo the flowers and it left behind a purple stain on the tiles. And I thought ohhhhhh....I wonder if they would dye thread?

And just like that I was back at the solar botanical dyeing I was in a frenzy for two years ago!


Into their glass jar they went, and sat in the sun they were.


As I was preparing to throw this bunch of lavender out; I thought wonder if... so into a pot they went as well.


And this is how the lavender came out. A soft green from the stems. and the 'juice' smelt divine.


And this is how the hearts ease came out - so happy with that blue!


And here they both are wrapped around their old pegs, after having been rinsed and dried.


And so then, I wondered about the tibouchina flowers.

But I have to report that thus far, they are very uninspiring 


5 comments:

  1. that blue is beautiful from the heartsease!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was astonished Mo - blue is quite hard to get and they were so generous! I love it, even it fades a wee bit over time...go well.

      Delete
  2. the color in the hearts ease is as saturated as I've ever seen ...

    and thought you'd appreciate knowing that I sent a bit of your hand-dyed thread to a friend in California who is weaving little bags and leaving them as gifts to the world (she calls them her Community Medicine Bags)

    http://pomegranatetrail.blogspot.com/2021/08/welcome-to-my-madness.html

    another way your peace is spreading in the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz - thank your letting me know some thread is playing in California! What marvellous little bags they are and can you imagine the excitement of finding one in the wild?!?!? And I agree with the depth of that blue - I hope it holds. Go well.

      Delete
  3. Came here via Liz...and oh my! The color of the hearts ease is wonderful and all of your photographs are gorgeous. I love the old clothes pins! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.