Thursday, August 12, 2021

Thursday Thoughts...

“Some people say home is where you come from. But I think it’s a place you need to find, like it’s scattered and you pick pieces of it up along the way.” 

 Katie Kacvinsky, Awaken

The last time we visited the cottage in Scotland I spent a lot of time considering the notion of home and of place and what it means.  For the first time I really felt as if I had two homes. Contrastingly different, yet both deeply held within me. As I returned to Australia I thought upon it a lot, did a course called Poetics of Place and really went deep in my attempt to understanding this calling, this yearning.

Interesting then to have been forced to be in only one place for the last 18 months or so, and to consider and ponder is it really like a home if you can't get there?

This quote suits my thinking about home in a couple of ways.  It suggests it isn't fixed; it is not the one and only place you were born or brought up; or even the house you lived in. I like the way she introduces the notion of a traveller finding bits and pieces here and there - a gleaner of sorts.

So creating a sense of home is perhaps more about gathering things, experiences, and places and melding them together to create that feeling so associated with home. Feeling safe, nurtured, protected, understood...feeling as if you belong. 

And dare I say, you can find this in more than one physical place.


From the kitchen window in the Highlands...

6 comments:

  1. I've missed your travels to Scotland and the art that it inspired in both you and Barry (even as it continues to inspire your work from afar) ...

    I do think that longing for a place defines it as a part of one's home ... and quite agree that more than one place can have that kind of meaning-fullness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the cottage in Scotland has done a great deal for our thinking about life and art and home. We miss it too and long for the day…I sometimes think our notion of home also has to grow as grow and change, the places we live and the places that are precious. Go well.

      Delete
  2. the blue of longing, the longing for blue, I dream of being home there, one day

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.