Thursday, August 5, 2021

Thursday Thoughts...

“There is no line where art stops and life begins.” 

 Charles Eames

Says the man who co-designed some beautiful chairs.

I am not sure if everybody sees life as an extension of art and vice versa; but I know kindred spirits for whom these words hold true.

For these folk, and I include myself amongst them, it is an impossibility to say "that is life, but not art. That is art, but not life"  

Or at the very least there is a bell curve with very very tiny outer edges.

For me, making my way through the day I often stop to see the world as art and beauty.  When I get up in the morning it's the light that always draws me: the colours; the shapes of the clouds; the shadows; the sunbeams; the rainbows.  All are art.

From the flowers in vases to the companionable silence; from the rusty trinket in the gravel to the silhouettes of trees at dusk; to the design of clothes I wear to the way ingredients fall into a pan.

Life is art and art is life.


White daphne in a sun stream this week.

10 comments:

  1. this is such a beautiful post (((Fiona))) I can smell the daphne through the ether!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo - your world and your life seem the perfect example; and yes to the perfume of daphne! These two wee plants were on our balcony in pots in Canberra, got planted and replanted on the block; and have now been transplanted into pots and are with us here and still bloom! Generous spirits they are.

      Delete
  2. nature's artworks --with their Fibonacci sequences and symmetries and colors and textural variations-- are endlessly fascinating ... and I am always humbled (in a good way) when trying to render an impression of them in cloth

    love that you have a plant that has traveled with you from one home to the next ... I think "Sun stream" would be a perfect title for this winter still life, for it truly is an artful image

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I also think Nature's palette is perfection and you can't go wrong if you work with it. The photo was serendipitous but I am so glad I noticed and delayed a few things to take it. Love the title!

      Delete
  3. Very thoughtful post, Fiona! I certainly have seen the lines blurred as I’ve been working remotely for almost a year and a half now. My studio has become Work Station #1, one of my creative tables in the living room Work Station #2. But I take daily breaks working a little art in and squeeze in some creative time each weekend. Ebb and Flow, Flow and Ebb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina - you are right how especially the last year has blurred many edges; and I love how you have integrated art into daily life in a real way. Go well.

      Delete
  4. “From the flowers in vases to the companionable silence; from the rusty trinket in the gravel to the silhouettes of trees at dusk; to the design of clothes I wear to the way ingredients fall into a pan.” I love this. On good days, I feel this kind of gratification in Ordinary things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee - there is magic in the every day; and extraordinary in the ordinary. They are truly moments of beauty and art aren't they? And I too, am grateful. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.