Sunday, September 11, 2022

Flowers, threads, and moons

 It has been a bit of a hither and yon week - bibs and bobs this way and that as we prepare to head off for a while.

It is Spring here and the garden is bursting (as Barry's post earlier this week shows) and the house has been filled with flowers.

Whilst we were weeding down the back I discovered three different types of magnolia which was an unexpected delight.



And given there were flowers galore and the sun was popping its head out a bit, I thought I would try to solar-dye some threads using some blooms I hadn't played with before. Our neighbour joined in and dropped in more flowers, so we have tested quite a few.

White camellias, and snapdragons to the left; lots of pink camellias in the middle, and a purplish daisy and red geranium on the right.


The boldness of this red geranium made me very happy,.

 
And the blue from the purplish daisy was also looking promising.


As ever, things fade in the rinsing. This time I rinsed in salted boiling water, which didn't seem to make any difference. This pale flecked pink that remained was still lovely.


And the blue had softened almost to sage - also quite delicate and lovely.


The pink camellias gave a really strong, warm brown which will work well with the pink I think. So lots of fun has been had; with more to come with summer flowers I hope. 

And an almost full moon as we walked late last night. The sky was dramatic and rather wonderful.





1 comment:

  1. well, that "pale flecked pink" reminded me of the color "ashes of roses" ... which recalled the book in which I first encountered it: The Thorn Birds ... as is my wont, I remember reading it, but can't remember the details (even after reading a plot summary online just now) ... even so, the color has stuck in my mind all these years later ... most likely because it is such a lovely one, as are your threads

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.