Thursday, September 8, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

"Being creative is not so much the desire to do something as the listening to that which wants to be done: the dictation of the materials." 

Anni Albers

I always think when you hear people speak about the conversation an artist or maker has with their work, that you know that they get it.

I sometimes find that materials tell me what they want to be; at other times I make because I simply need to make.  Most often tho I think it is a dance, a meeting in the middle.

I will be wondering or thinking about an issue or a topic, reading about it, writing short notes, trying to make it make sense for me. Realising (or not) that I want to say something about it, as she suggests in the first part of the quote  - the desire to do something.

This then leads to the listening part of the conversation - what is around me, what does the idea say to me, what can the things I see or do suggest? And often this arrives in flash - I can see clearly what the thing needs to be. I haven't directed that this be so - I have simply paid attention to the things I know and see, and they have subconsciously forged the idea.

At other times I struggle, investigate options - sometimes I try to drive it too much.
Of late, I have come to realise that I sometimes say to myself - push your boundaries, do something wild, do something different. And in the end I keep coming back to things that I feel best represent me and the things I want to say, and how I want to say them.

In the end,  I listen.



2 comments:

  1. weaving is so structured and requires so much preparation that it made me wonder where spontaneity might have figured into Anni Albers' work ... which led me to some interesting articles that mentioned her association with Paul Klee and her notions that accidents and play have their place in the creative process

    thank you for setting me off on another line of exploration ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting isn't it? I always imagine weaving to a pre-determined pattern; and the geometric nature of her work would suggest that was needed. Yet, her materials spoke to her. Spanning that divide between art and craft can be precarious; and perhaps it was when play and accidents came in to being that she slipped across to the art side? Always fascinating to take the ponder further!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.