Thursday, September 29, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

“Artists are driven to do what they do no matter what. It’s a very powerful ambition and they pursue it in whatever way works best for them. Artists have a practice and pursuing and developing it is always the motivating factor, not whether or not they will sell something or even find a venue in which it can be seen.” 

Whitney Museum curator Carter Foster on grit 

I must admit I think an artist, or a maker's, mind is constantly sifting through signals, connecting disparate thoughts, seeing images and translating them in their own way. I think their minds are often viewing the world in a particular way and are quietly, sometimes subconsciously, formulating ideas about telling a story, or making a work that expresses certain things. 

Many of us are then compelled to make a piece in response to this gathering of stimuli, thoughts and experiences. I certainly can't speak on behalf of artists who sell really well or are held in prestigious collections, but in my own small way I know that I sometimes really need to say something; or I really need to feel something. And make it I will, with no real thought that a buyer exists for this; or a collection might be interested.  I need to make the work I need to make and then afterwards comes the latent pondering of whether I should try to sell it, or contact an institution, or enter it in a show or a prize.

Fortunately I don't have to make my living as an artist, if I did, perhaps my thinking might change.



2 comments:

  1. a perfect illustration ... that which is hidden and that which is revealed ...

    so I looked in m-w.com for their definition of ambition: "desire to achieve a particular end" ... which led to desire: "to long or hope for" ... and yes, we do long or hope for a particular end, although I daresay the journey to that end is usually the best part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to follow your thinking and path of enquiry… I think I often start with the end of ‘something needs to be made’ and thoroughly enjoy the process. My starting end is rarely ‘this will go in a collection, or be sold’. Which has been hard learning when entering pieces for exhibitions. I can’t make work for sale, I still have to make my work and then it’s in the laps of the gods. Such a fascination this learning and understanding!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.