Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Postcards Home

 I stitched away merrily with this book - stitching the pages as planned, and then letting the rest of the book work itself out. When I make I seem to be a strange mix of planning and prepping; and then reacting and responding.

With this book, there was a fairly even mix of both; and along the way I did less recording than I usually do.

I had stitched three pages; and so I went on to stitch the next three.

Sadly, the first thread I selected was too heavy and too thick. Despite my best efforts it was going to tear the fragile paper and would not sit happily on the surface. So it was replaced.


As mentioned, I didn't record all that well - and here is the first of the pages stitched; and stitched onto its perspex backing, and attached to another. Quite late in the game really. I had originally planned to stitch the page in between two pieces of perspex like a sort of sandwich; but after I had done this for a couple, I realised I much preferred the texture of the paper being available, rather than contained. So I unstitched the perspex..

Comfrey

Rosemary

Agapanthus

Then it was on to thinking about the covers. I took this little stitched line for a walk with running stitch and thought it worked OK on the soft paper.


And then pierced the title on the page, realising I would need to do a back stitch in order for the lettering to be more fully read.




Called Postcards Home, the book uses three threads I naturally solar-dyed in Maleny; and three threads I dyed at the cottage in Scotland, bringing them together in a way...


I trimmed all the threads except for those that hold the perspex pages together. 

The covers are two sheets of Perspex with a sheet of paper held within them.



The sequence is: Agapanthus, Rosemary, Comfrey - Stinging Nettle, Thistle, Devil's Bit Scabiosus.

6 comments:

  1. So much time, memory, and meaning stitched into this ... and I do very much appreciate being privy to the backstory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! Sometimes the simplest of notions can hold the deepest of thoughts and meanings. This small accordion book appears quite simple, yet there are depths. I like its elegance and apparent simplicity...

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful, and the presentation is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillayne - glad you like it! The thought of bringing the threads together somehow has rolled around in my head for quite some time, but I hadn't had a way to do it, and then in the middle of the night - this appears in my mind. It came together in the end and tells a quiet story. Go well.

      Delete
    2. I daresay the labelled clothespins would make a lovely accompaniment to the open book in a display setting

      Delete
    3. I think so too Liz - they tell a beautiful story in their own way as well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.