Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Letter a Week (ALaW)17

I didn't have a lot of time to spend with my letters this week so went for a quick technique; but nonetheless working with material I have never worked with before.

A bit like doing a lino cut and printing, I wanted to use some Speedy-Cut carving block (by Speedball) that I had bought with experimenting in mind. Unlike lino it doesn't have a smell and is therefore easier for some noses to deal with.  I found it much softer than lino so had to be pretty careful as I sliced it out.

I decided to carve out the letter, leaving it in relief when printed, and went for a black letter coming out of white ink.  You can see a few slips of the tools here and there, but that's OK by me - more reminders of the slipperiness of the material.  All in all, swift and easy and not messy or smelly, so it's good to have some of this in the kit bag of options.

Not the most elegant of Qs either - the tail is a bit stumpy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.