Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Letter a Week (ALaW) 19

The Letter 'S' snuck up on me this week - we had so many work and community commitments I only spent time in the studio on Friday and that was preparing to teach all day at Buderim yesterday.  So it wasn't until late this afternoon that I got the chance to have a go.

I wanted to work with metal some more - I've engraved steel (C), Etched copper (M) and aluminium (N) and today I thought I would punch some copper.

I couldn't easily get a nice 'S' drawn onto the copper, so I ended up writing it on a piece of paper, taping the paper over the copper, and punching through the paper.  This worked pretty well - but unbeknownst to me the copper was curling up under the paper and as a result the bottom right part of the 'S' ended up not wide enough. When it was revealed the outline looked quite odd; so I added extra bits and filled the whole thing in with more punch holes making it a more agreeable shape.  I think there might be a few more little holes needed here and there to finish it off, but its time to get dinner so that will have to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.