Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday Thoughts...


There is no must in art because art is free.
Wassily Kandinsky

One of the words I think it would be good to have removed from the English language is 'should'. Over the years I have found that too often we clutter our heads and/or berate ourselves with we "should have" done this, said that, tried harder, thought about it more, not said that, not done that, not gone there, etc. And that's just in life in general; let alone in our arts practice!

I like that this quote frees us from the 'shoulds' in our minds and reminds us that art is art. It is.

It doesn't have to be anything in particular, it doesn't have to be anybody else's interpretation of good or bad or ugly. It is enough just to be. I sometimes need reminding not to listen to that little bird who sits on my shoulder and says "not good enough, who do you think you are, why bother, you'll never be a real artist". Art is free and we are free to explore it.

3 comments:

  1. That little bird sits on my shoulder too - I guess we all have one. Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one busy little bird. He visits me also!

    Thanks for reminding me I do not have to listen to him.

    BTW, your photos are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.