Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thursday Thoughts...

What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit.
John Updike


This quote reminds me of how I feel when I look at beautiful art and fabulously designed or crafted works that speak to my soul.  The interaction seems to almost occur in a time and space of its own; the world stops ever so briefly as I am absorbed by what I see.

Perhaps it is to do with the right sided-brain bit where when viewing art we let go of analysis and sequencing and order, and allow experience and sensation and response to take over.  Visually beautiful things feed my spirit, and allow the spirit to breathe.




2 comments:

  1. We are fortunate to be among the ones in a condition to recognize and allow beauty and art to touch us, affect us and -as you said- feed our spirit.

    John Updike said it well and you expressed it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, artists are fortunate enough to have more right-brained activity- so that we can push the left brain aside for awhile and just let our senses take over.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.