Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Cord-making

I was completely intrigued by Liz Ackert's post about making cord. The system she showed in front of her was fascinating...and I was so pleased when she linked to some videos to show what was done and how it was done. A screen shot from her post:

It was surprisingly less complicated than I had imagined.

I got myself come cardboard and traced a circle around a coaster and drew lines on it to divide these into 8 pieces. Then snipped a short way along each line.

Tied my 7 threads int one end and poked them through whole in the centre.


No doubt about it, I thought of jellyfish a lot!


Slowly, bit by bit a cord began to emerge.


And the cord grew longer, and the messy threads shorter.




Until it was done.


It took quite some time, but it was a task I could do as I listened to podcasts, and watched some videos from FibreArtsTakeTwo. So inspiring!

And here it is wound around a finished pouch.


And here they are all finished, all together.  The three other twisted cords happened in less than a 1/4 of the time of the one braided cord, but I really like the braided cord and can see me making many more.


This was the video I watched to get me in the rhythm of things, one that Liz suggested.

And the lower Autumn light offers so much by way of shadows and capturing the essence of things.



1 comment:

  1. there is a lovely rhythm that develops as one goes along ... so glad you enjoyed the making enough to consider another go

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.