Thursday, May 25, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

“(Hope) is the belief that what we do matters even though how and when it may matter, who and what it may impact, are not things we can know beforehand”. 

Rebecca Solnit

Hope. It is such a flighty notion (and I don't mean it's about the bird with wings quote) and quite difficult for me to grasp, pin down or define.  I love reading how others have imagined hope, and I think Rebecca Solnit does great thinking and writing about it.

There is a nebulousness in hope that she explores here, and which I like. 

Believing that what we do matters, despite not knowing how it might impact, or who it might impact. Or when.

I guess she is saying that without that belief, we may not bother to act.  That it is OK to do positive things without knowing for sure what effect they might have.

Sometimes optimism sounds like hoping for the best, being positive, or thinking positively.

Hope itself seems more linked to acting, to doing something now, with the belief that it will reap benefits down the track.


my wish for 2021 and beyond...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.