Thursday, May 18, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

 "The idea is to balance linear thinking – which requires intense focus – with creative thinking, which is borne out of idleness. Switching between the two modes seems to be the optimal way to do good, inventive work ".

Emma Seppala

I really like this acknowledgement of the interplay between different modes of thinking as part of the creative process.

I sometimes think I spend too much time in linear mode- focused on an outcome, on the process and the details of the making.  I feel as if I don't give myself permission to spend nearly enough time in idle mode, to enable and facilitate the creative thinking mode.

Idleness has always had an association with indolence, laziness, and not so good things in my mind.  However, I also know that idleness is a time of free-flowing connections; of whimsical wanderings; and of subconscious resolutions and solutions.

I find it hard to establish time for idleness in my days; and the time I seem to most approximate idleness is trying to get to sleep in the early hours if I have woken. In that time, I allow my mind to wander to contemplate and to look at things differently. 

So at least I have that.


Just staring out to sea... Orkney, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.